Saturday, July 4

Yes I'm PROUD to be an American...

where at least I know I'm free.
And I won't forget the men who died
and gave that right to me.

And I gladly STAND UP!
next to you?, and defend her,
still today

'Cause there ain't no doubt I LOVE THIS LAND
God Bless the USA!
----------------

*There will always be people trying to crap on the party and bring down honest celebrations of freedom.  They won't win today though.  Or ever.

From the lakes of Minnesota...
To the hills of Tinnessee.
Across the plains of Texas!
From sea to shining sea...
Frem Deee-troit down to 'ouston,
from New York to LA,
well there's PRIDE in every American heart, and it's time WE STAND and say...
---------------------
ADDED:  Got out of the hotbox today for a good bit, and visited the river with the old dog. Sooo mellow when they age, fireworks don't bother him anymore, and he just relaxes and allows you to help him.  He can walk, but not for long distances, but he is under 20 lbs, and lets me especially scooop him up easy.  He had the tongue out when he eagerly hopped up and greeted me at Mal and his' place, so off to the River Park we went.  River is SO high this year from the rains, and I had no suit and hadn't switched to the old tennies in the car... BUT,
 the Spanish-speaking people who gather in groups at the park, were in the water today, It's only kneed deep, but fast, and rocky in places:  you have to pick your spots.  Smartly, they formed a line, walking upriver holding hands, and enjoying the rush of the rapids at their knees.  No risk at all of getting swept away, united together like that...
I had Buddy at a spot near the shoreline I know that is sandy when the river is down, and only a few inches to start when it is up.  One of the older men saw me, and put his arms up.  A minute or two later, I thought I realized what he was asking, so... I asked him, would you hold my dog out there. No suit for me, no shoes, so I wasn't planning to go in, but to soak Buddy I knew would keep him clean for hours.  He agreed, we exchanged names, he turned to his group, heading upstream a dozen yards away, "I have a Buddy!"  Dog was sooo calm, and so happy, I could read his face and eyes.  Never panted again that afternoon. He kept his eyes on my but when he could, but was relaxed, not fighting to tun his head.  The man went about 10 yards out, and Buddy was wet to his neck, and the oldsters and people with the baby on the shoreline were cooing in a language I don't speak prominently...
Three, four minutes, he brought him back, held him so Bud could "paddle" the last few feet in to me (he's not a water dog, usually goes in only to his belly, if it's solid ground, to drink (and drink and drink...))  So it was a happy story, a kind deed, even if unplanned... (When I asked the ma n, Say can you hold my dog out there to cool him? after he had made that gesture to me, he said sure, and did it again, and said, And then you!  making the gesture again..  Not good at reading these things, maybe it wasn't the dog he was offering to hold out there in the first place, like I thought, but I played it off and said, Oh no, I didn't bring my suit!  People on the banks laughed, and that is how I met Minnie (the man, like Minosa, but I didn't mention that as I wasn't sure he'd catch the reference, and our communication  was basic in English.)  And now, Buddy is home sleeping and cool, I am told.  Me too.  I got to get out of this place and down to the rivers more...

ADDED:  It's a hotbox because NObody is running their AC this year, just ceiling fans, for CoVid air circulations reasons.  Not sure how scientific, but it IS quieter with the windows open and not hearing the unit noise.

Also, not to leave you thinking I was using the Spanish speakers to cool my dog... Leaving the park, I pointed out to the two men and one younger woman with good fishing tackle, that there as a path through  the small scrub across the river to the shady spot that is pretty much sandy bank in past years. Very fast now, but under the tree overhang, and COOLER.  Fish are deeper today, not out in the sun, but I think he understood what I was saying in directing him there in future years especially.  They have come visiting for the past years, in groups, and the river will be lower in times to come too.  Hope this helps; it's public access too... He could tell what I was saying. Good gives good, and the world keeps turning too...

I needed that river, and that dog, to remind me to keep cool, that everythings going to be all right, and we can all help each other, in little ways...  Independence day, without the hostility, just some cautious people keeping cool, and enjoying the river, "made for you and me.." That's what I miss about this new America:  seems like some don't appreciate Woody type words...or aren't grateful to be here, like we all were today in the shade, under the trees, at the river bank, by the park close enough to walk to, but that the dog and  drove to today, because he can't walk as well, and it was hot. Right around the corner really, and across the bridge.

How's your Fourth going out there?  Are you still free; can you be?