Sunday, April 7

GOAT?

 It's such a silly word in the first place, but not winning the national championship despite the hype two years in a row, plus statements like this add to the discussion:

"I don't want my legacy to be, 'Oh, Caitlin won X amount of games,' or 'Caitlin scored X amount of points.' I hope it's what I was able to do for the game of women's basketball. I hope it is the young boys and young girls that are inspired to play this sport or dream to do whatever they want to do in their lives.

I understand the WNBA has always publicized that they love seeing boys and men cheer the sport, but I sure wish she would not have listed "young boys" before the girls in who she has hoped she inspired.

Leave the kids out of all this, anyway.  Just play your game and win.  Don't go in there with the idea of motivating anybody but yourself, and let your performance convince them...

Congrats to the Gamecocks, and it will be interesting how Clark competes at the next level of play in the pros.  Lots of good players entering the league with various skill sets.  Sometimes being big, a great passer and 3 point-shooter isn't as effect as the scrappy defensive players who makes the plays when the game is on the line, despite the final statistics.

Same is true in all sports.  (If it weren't, heck we'd all agree that Kirk Cousins is a great player too, despite his time with Washington and Minnesota both.  I bet he shines in Atlanta though. Puts up some good numbers anyway.)