Monday, July 4

Some days are diamonds

and yesterday was one. We christened my niece at a nicely informal service, part of the 10:45am children's mass their parish has, where the kids play instruments during the songs and the homily is delivered at their levels. Not dumbed down, just tailored to include things relevant in their daily lives. Like welcoming a new baby to the community. There was a lion king-like moment after the baptizing, where the baby was held up and everyone clapped to welcome her. I'd never seen that before during a service, but it was warm.

Afterward, there was a get-together on the family's back lawn under a tent. The weather was pleasant, as we've been having a cool spell here, and it was good to see everyone from both sides of the family. They live outside Libertyville, IL, an appropriately named place to be this weekend.

Then, I must not have checked the mail Saturday because last night was a letter from the IRS sending me $192 additional refund for a deduction they said I hadn't taken. I mean, is this a great country or what?

Granted, I did the short, easy form since my library income last year was low and my life not so complex to itemize. But with all the expenditures we're facing collectively as a nation, it seemed odd that someone checking my paperwork wants to send a bit this way. Thanks though, just frosting on a great day.

Finally, I fell asleep to one of my favorites, John Sayles' Sunshine State, and finished up watching this morning. Really, it struck me watching this umpteenth time, that this qualifies as a good "American" movie. No bloody drama, just humanity, (and an interesting eminent domain subplot, to boot)

There are some beautifully shot scenes with Florida colors and coastline, and fine acting on display. If you've seen this one, my favorite line (and character) is: "She doesn't write. She doesn't call." Though not a comedy any more than life is, there are some funny lines. Happy Independence Day.